BLOGGER TEMPLATES AND TWITTER BACKGROUNDS »

Tuesday, January 5, 2010

Time to Stop and Smell the Leaves

So as not to turn this blog into its own disease that might suck out your soul if you keep reading, I'm going to throw in a few bright lights. As I mentioned in the first post, we really don't walk around writhing and gnashing our teeth. Mom is still a social person. She likes to get out of the house, go out to lunch, have a picnic, take a walk, go shopping.

I'll admit that shopping can be a bit of a pain these days, and requires stocking up on patience before you head out the door. She's slower than she once was, and has a tendency to, ohhh, wander a bit. And stop in her tracks, to think. If she's in front of you, you run into her, and if she's behind you, you lose her. When you try to get her back on  a path, she's likely to turn around in circles a few times before moving on. I have likened a trip to Walmart with her to herding an unleashed cat through the place.

Speaking of Walmart, a few weeks ago, some unsuspecting soul in the parking lot accidentally left the sliding door of their van open. They were parked next to us, and when I told Mom to go ahead and hop in the car and warm up while I loaded groceries, of course she took a seat in the that van. Oh, the squawking that commenced..."Gah! Mom, that's the wrong car! Let's get out, get into this car!" Mom thought this was hysterical, which started me laughing also. 

For a more peaceful outing, I try to take her out to places that we'll both enjoy. We went on an Autumn-Leaf Walkabout last October.




She loved it, driving around (well, I was doing the driving), and wandering local parks. She is mesmerized by colorful scenery. Here's a shot of her starting her own bouquet of fallen maple leaves. "OHhhhh," she said, over, and over again...



"Just look at all of the beautiful flowers."

For all of the heartache that is Alzheimer's, I laugh with my mother every time I see her.

Every time.